Sunday, November 14, 2010

I think I really do have a good excuse!

 I really have wanted to blog about life for the past few months but life has been all too crazy to do much of anything but get through the day.  After the kids started school I started to work on Halloween costumes and deal with some crazy headaches.  I will post about the headaches later as well as the Halloween costumes.  What really has been on my mind is Warren had his tonsils out on Nov. 1st.  I really wasn't that worried, Warren was going to be the last one in the family to have them taken out.  I had mine taken out when I was ten.  Kimball was two, Phoebe was five, Jake was just this past June, and I was very excited to have Warren join the ranks.  The kid was stuffed up,  had sleep apnea and  was tired all the time.  When his ENT looked at the tonsils for the first time he turned to me and said, "Those suckers are huge!  They need to come out right away!"  Well we waited till after Halloween so he could enjoy that holiday with his family.  We needed our white rabbit!  So Early Monday morning we headed to the hospital.  Warren is quite happy about this.  I really don't think he understood what was going to happen. 



Pre surgery
 
Pre Surgery

 As you can tell from the photos above he was the center of attention.  The nurses just adored him.  He is such a little flirt.  I let the doctors take him from me and as he was going through the O.R. doors he said, "I'll be brave mommy."  I have to say I cried a little.  You think it would get easier doing this as much as I have.  Nope.  Not at all.  I think I cried a little with every one of them.  Even Jake.  Everything went great in surgery with Warren.  The doctor came out and talked to me and told me that he was waking up in recovery and that I would be called back soon.  It was just a few minutes later that I was able to go back to recovery and see my little baby.  I knew right a away something was different.  He was naked (besides his pull up) there was blood on the sheet and he was coughing.  Who coughs after having throat surgery?  The nurse told me right away that the blood was from him ripping out his I.V. when he was waking up.  Apparently he really had a hard time because he had scratches on his face and they had really bandaged his foot tight to keep him  from ripping out the new I.V.  Also, the doctors had a really hard time finding the right spot for the I.V.  It was three pokes in one hand, four in the other, then they found the spot in the foot.  He ripped that one out and now had a new on in the other foot.  Warren couldn't stop coughing.  He was spitting up bloody mucus stuff.  Again, none of my other kids, or Jake did that.  Warren started really struggling for breath and started to choke and cough and choke and cough.  The nurse attending him started to suck out his air way and sit him up.  Warren started fighting back and somehow ended up on his back and that  really choked him up.  His stats started to drop.  His lips started to turn blue.  He was so pale.  I started to panic.  Four doctors RAN to Warren's bedside and another nurse came just to take care of me! I think I almost passed out I was so scared.  The doctors put Warren on a breathing treatment, gave him O2 and continued to suction him out.  After about 20 minutes Warren was finally able to breath normally.  The doctors sent the nurse away and they each took turns sitting by Warren and monitoring him for the next three hours. Warren went to sleep. The poor baby was so beyond worn out from the ordeal that he slept for the entire three hours that he was being observed.  Other doctors would come and check on him too. As scary as it was, I was very thankful for those doctors and the concern they had for my little boy.  And that nurse that kept comforting me when all I could do was stare at my baby getting jerked around by doctors who were trying to open up his airways.  That is what happened.  Warren's airway swelled too much.  They don't know what caused it, they think just aggravation from the tube they used, but they are not sure.  I am not letting that boy have surgery anytime soon!   



This is my poor baby after all the trauma he went through.  It still makes me want to cry.
 

After about five hours in the hospital Warren really woke up, sat up, and started to devour Popsicles and watch Sesame Street. After one very long day we were cleared to go home. We were both very happy.




Post surgery and really ready to go home

You couldn't tell all that he had been through from this face!

I  love this little boy so much and am so thankful he is happy and healthy!
It is hard to believe that those last three pictures are the same day as the previous one!  We were thrilled to be home and I though that we would have a smooth recovery.  Boy was I wrong.  The first two days went fine.  But on the third day he got a fever and stopped eating or drinking and even threw up.  That mom alarm in me went off.  We went to the emergency room.  Waiting about four hours just to see a doctor and then they started to check him out.  To our relief everything with the surgery was fine.  But after the x-ray, they found out that Warrens large intestines were completely full of poop!  That kid was so backed up he couldn't eat or drink because there was no room.  The codeine they gave him as pain killer was the culprit.  We had to take him off codein and gave him regular Tylenol and started doing suppositories and mirlax.  We tried that for two days and he still hadn't pooped.  He was starting to get dehydrated and lost about two pounds.  We had to take him back to the ER and they had to do an enema on the guy!  Hadn't he been through enough?  It took a while but that worked.  I can only imagine the relief he felt!  We were able to get the rest of it cleared out at home.  It has now been two weeks and Warren is FINALLY better.  He still has a bit of a sore throat but he is eating around the clock.  One night he woke up and asked for a hot dog in a hot dog bun.  I told him no way am I doing that at three in the morning, but he can have a banana and yogurt.  The next night he woke up asking for Mac and cheese and fish sticks.  Again, I told him no, but that he could have some more bananas and yogurt.  He didn't wake me up the third night. 
Now that my baby is on the mends and the Halloween costumes are packed up I am trying to get things back in order and start focusing on Thanksgiving.
More post to come. Can anyone tell me how to change the blog template.  Blogger apparently made some changes in my absences  and did not consult me.  I want to put a cute fall back ground but I can't find how to do it.  Thanks! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a "little Jake"! He sure grew up and is so cute! Poor little guy to go through so much. You are a strong woman for all the crap you have been through. One of these days I will get up the nerve to attempt one of these things.
Love ya!
Tiff

Red Charlotte said...

So glad he is ok!

Cherise said...

just google cutest blog on the block. That's where I got mine and then I put the URL on my "design template". Don't feel bad, There are tons of things that I can't figure out with my blog. I want to change so much stuff...
Hope everyone is great and I miss and love you guys!

Yates Family said...

WOW! Poor Warren. He is still so dang cute! I am glad he is doing better. For blog backgrounds go to cutesblogontheblock.com they havee free backgrounds you can put on your blog. Thats where I get mine.