Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A riddle...

Can anyone tell me what a dress, a boot and an evacuation all have in common?

I can! They all happened last night!



The dress!
I finally got out the pattern from the horrible experience I had with the cheep fabric. I picked a better fabric and started again. I LOVE how it turned out!! It looks great on the doll and is was so fast and easy to sew, when the fabric actually stays together! I think I like how is bells out. Too cute!

The Boot


Lookie, lookie, what I get to wear... again. That is right. You remember that sprain I bogged about along side that stupid purple fabric. Well, it was a REALLY bad sprain. I tried to tough it out for a week, but it ended up I was living off of Motrin and other pain killer and still couldn't get any relief. I started to think it was more. I made an appointment to get x-rays. The good news, it is not broken, but the bad news, I have to wear this baby AND use crutches for the next 4-6 weeks! I really do not get my luck. Did I walk under a ladder as a kid? It is such a blast to take care of three kids while "staying off my foot". Right, staying off my foot! What a joke!

To end of a long day of sewing and boot wearing, Jake and I were relaxing and enjoying of evening to ourselves. The kids went to bed without complaint, it was turning out to be a great night. Then we saw the red and blue lights come speeding down our street. For a while we watched as the fire department ran into our neighbors house. We didn't think much of it at first. We had this happen a few weeks ago at the same house. They said they thought they smelled gas, but nothing turned up. After a bit if watching out the window we started to settle back to Reading and playing the Wii. Not long after a cop comes pounding on our door and tells us we have to evacuate immediately to the top of the street. We had just enough time to grab the kids, shoes and sweaters. The kids were so tired and confused. But we got them walking, along with everyone else on the street to the top of the hill. We were all just standing around trying to figure out what the heck was going on! Come to find out, the house that had the fire fighters there had gas backing up in their pipes and drains. One of those drains was right by the water heater. The pilot light kept lighting the gas on fire! Both houses had small fires in their laundry rooms! All the other houses had to be cleared out so they could find out about the gas leak. After about twenty minutes if standing outside, to our luck, it started to rain! We were given permission to stand under a car port. How humorous that I got to meet some of my neighbors for the first time under conditions like this. We were in all states of dress. Some in scout uniforms, others in leopard print pj's and others in just different clothes you don't normally see your neighbors in. The older kids were loving every minute of it. The adults were trying to figure out what was going on and play our fourth of July BBQ and then there were the mothers with young children that were trying to comfort some very confused, cold and tired kids. Phoebe was crying and shivering. She was terrified that the house was going to burn down, or that we were going to live on the street or who knows what else! Kimball was quite, just trying to stay awake, and Warren was loving being able to see the firefighters. I really don't remember how long, maybe another twenty minutes and they cleared the first four houses on the street. Not our house. But we were then allowed to go into our neighbors houses and wait. The kids clung to me. I just tried to calm them down. It helped a lot when someone turned on cartoons. We wait probably another half our and then were told it was all clear to go home. I quickly got the kids home and made Jake go talk to the fire department and see why this happened and if it could happen again. Kimball walked in the house, and immediately crawled into bed. He was asleep before I could get my shoe off. Warren and Phoebe were a different story! Warren though his nap was over. We had to convince him to go back to sleep, after about and hour he did. Phoebe was still shook up and terrified. She wouldn't leave my side. After trying to battle we just let her sleep on the short couch and I slept with my foot propped up on the long couch. It worked. She finally went to sleep! Today the boys barely remember what happened last night. Phoebe is still very clingy. She freaks out when every I am not in sight. She has to be within in arms reach. I am trying very hard to calm her fears, I hope this doesn't last much longer!
What a night!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Good job on the dress. It looks really cute. It was fun to see you out at our neighborhood emergency party. Hopefully we don't have another one!!

Red Charlotte said...

LOL, if only Phoebe had been a little older, she would have loved those firefighters ;)

I'm sorry to hear that about your foot; you do seeem to have a string of bad luck with health issues. I hope the "bad health cloud" passes your house soon!

Emily said...

Wow, what a night!

meg said...

Wow - how crazy. Those kinds of things (gas leaks, etc.) freak me out so bad! Glad everything was okay... sorry life is giving you the boot, so to speak. But at least you can still make cute dresses, right? I mean, when all is said and done, fashion is really all that matters, right?

Yates Family said...

I was on crutches and in the boot for a month about 2 1/2 years ago!! Not fun! I have a 6 month old then...I was crawling on my hands and knees to take care of my kids!! IT was horrible..I hope you get better soon! Love ya