Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lamps

I've discovered that I really like giving lamps makeovers. It is a lot of fun to see something that is pretty ugly turn into a work of art! I have already done an embroidered lamp shade so I thought I would try with paint. The love birds lamps and shades I got at Big Lots. The lamps were a blue and red. The Shades had some ugly baby blue gingham ribbon around the edges. I panted the lamps black, removed the ribbon and painted two love birds on it. I then added buttons for the birds eyes. Most of you know that I can not draw to save my life so I cut out the birds with my cricut and then traced them and painted over them. I then found Jake's word burning kit and carved our initials into the base, sorta like you would do for a tree. Then on the back side of the lamp I carved out anniversary date. I think they turned out darling! Jake likes them too. I do want to ruffle some black ribbon and add that around the edges but I just ran out of time before the move. That is one project that will have to wait till we get to Ohio.
The second lamp I did I found at savors. It was a ugly tan color and quite beat up. I am really a fan of black lamps so again I painted it black. I think I might go a little crazy and find a metallic paint of silver or pewter for my next project. After I painted it black I thought it looked too clean so I took my mouse sander and started to distress it. I loved it. The ugly tan that just peeked through was perfect! I then found a great lamp shade at Big Lots (they really do have great deals there!) I used the opposite end of a paint brush to make the dots and then used my handy dandy glue gun to glue the flowers. I found the flowers at the Making Memories Warehouse sale. They were so cheep! I love the sparkle at the center of the flower! I have to say I miss having my lamps. I think I just plane miss having a house. I know it is only about another five weeks! I can do this!! Enjoy the lamps!










2 comments:

Red Charlotte said...

Those birds are too sweet!

Warren said...

Way to use those creative powers!