Friday, September 5, 2008

Kimball's 1st Day of Preschool


Kimball started Pre-school this past Wednesday. It was a bit of a shock. I had a meeting with his teacher on Tuesday and she casually mentioned how “when he comes to school tomorrow”. I was like, what the heck?! This is the first I have heard of this! She looked at me a little funny and asked if I had read the letter that came in the mail. I told I had not received any letter in mail. Come to find out all the parents never received that letter. School started anyways.
I was a little nervous. I didn’t know how he was going to react to it. I could picture him going either way. Much to my delight he did great. Better then great! Another kid was walking up at the same time as we were and Kimball got so excited and ran up to him and said, “My name in Kimball and we are friends because we are in the same class!” Lucky for him the kid responded with just as much excitement. They hugged and bang, there were best friends. How cute is that? Kimball then proceeded to go to each student and do the same thing. One girl burst into tears! Kimball was so excited to go that he never looked back. I left feeling secure that my boy will do great this school year.
As for the potty training bit, no, he is not potty trained. I had to talk to his teacher before hand about this. I told her that the doctors are now getting involved. Monday we go to a doctor to get Kimball checked out. They said that because doctors are involved that it would be find and just have wet wipes and pull ups in his back pack. The will change him if he has a accident at school! WOW! If I pay them extra will they change Warren too?
Kimball loves school. He loves all the music, play time and the social interaction. He is a goof ball but the teachers said that he is one of the most advanced in his class. He can write and do basic reading. I guess hearing that I can handle him being the goof ball!


Phoebe has finished her first week of school. It has ended better then it has started. On Tuesday, the first day of school, I had this wonderful picture in my head of getting up in enough time to finish the laundry that had all the light jackets in it. Take time talking to her about how the day is going to go, make her a lunch and take lots of pictures. It was nothing like that.
As many of you know my boys never sleep in. Never. They are up at the crack of dawn crawling in my bed asking for food. I usually love it. We have silly time. I act sound a sleep and they act like animals. So, when they come in on Tuesday morning I automatically assume that it is some ridiculous early hour like six! In the process of our morning ritual I glance at the clock and it says 8:19! Phoebe’s school starts at 8:45! I scream and go running out of the room leaving the boys very bewildered. I quickly get Phoebe up and then run into my guest room to wake up my sister in law to watch the boys. She springs into action so I can focus on getting Phoebe out the door. I quickly get her hair done. She is screaming. I throw together a lunch of what ever I can find, she is trying to find clean clothes, and I pop some eggo waffles in the toaster. I was able to snap a couple of photos before my batteries died and she and I ran out the door with her till munching on her waffles.
I am thinking what a great mom I am. I am supposed to make this day special and wonderful. I didn’t even put a jacket on her this morning and she is wining about being cold the whole way to school. How can you even think about cold when you cold be late for your first day of Kindergarten? Does getting off on the wrong foot for the first day of school mark your whole year of being cursed for having bad luck?
Phoebe really got excited as we got her in line. Her teacher came out seconds later dressed in blue and yellow and wearing a duck hat. Phoebe forgot all the bad morning when she saw her teacher. A huge smile broke out on her face. The teacher said, “Kindergarteners are you ready for a quacking good time?” She then started to blow her duck whistle. The kids were all in love with her. Then Phoebe waved to me and walked into her new life.
I really didn’t cry. I was sad. I felt a part of my heart walk in that school, but I didn’t cry. I am excited for Phoebe. I know she has such a love of learning and I can’t teacher her it all. I miss having my little princess around all the time. The house seems so quite. It is a change for me to get use to.

Warren is having a little bit of a hard time getting use to the lack of siblings around. He still asks where Phoebe is. Phoebe is in all day Kindergarten. Kimball is in two hours, three days a week preschool. Warren is learning to play with out is best friends. I has been really clingy. He wants me to hold him all the time or he sits right at my feet and plays. I hope he doesn’t feel too abandoned. I know that as the weeks progress and school becomes this routine that I can do in my sleep he and I will get to get out and do things just for him. I want to take him to parks and the library. I want to read to him and take walks. Maybe have play dates with other moms. I think he will like it. I am assuming that he will learn his new schedule and adjust. When it comes time for us to get Kimball and Phoebe he gets so excited. He jumps out and down and says their names over and over. Then he usually grabs my hand and drags me all the way out the door. I guess I am not as fun as he wants me to be!

I am learning my new life schedule. I though it would be different. I thought it would be easy and life would be peachy and I could do so many more things. Boy was wrong! I don’t think I have felt so exhausted in years. I think why I am feeling so worn out is because I have two kids at two different schools and schedule. I thought I would let you all in on how my day goes. I get up at seven in the morning and get three kids ready to walk out the door at eight thirty. The boys and I usually get back about nine. Warren goes down for a nap with in an hour. Kimball and I have our time together. At 1230 I have to start lunch and re-getting kids ready to walk out the door at 115 so Kimball can make it to school at 130. Warren and I get back about 145. We have our time together. Then at 315 I have to go back to pick up Kimball and hurry fast enough to beat the buses. Phoebe is getting out of school at the same time. Lucky for me I have a great friend who walks Phoebe to her house and I drive straight there and pick her up. We get home about four o’clock. After school time is a zoo. Phoebe and Kimball both want to tell me all about there day and show me everything they brought home. Phoebe has to start her homework and Warren is wanting to play with them. I also have to get dinner started and find time to help with homework, feed kids, bathe kids, and make sure they get to bed sometime before I fall asleep on my feet.
I am really not un happy about this. Just over whelmed. I know that in a few weeks I will have mastered the part of my life and it will become normal. I just have to keep plugging away at it everyday. I know that it will become so routine that I will be able to fit extra things back in, like going out and doing something: shopping, visiting teaching, the gym and play dates.
I guess I have to say it has been pretty good. I do love my life, I love being a mom. I think I just need to sleep for three days to feel like I have enough energy for the next week!

2 comments:

Red Charlotte said...

Oh wow. What a great post. I know it all must be overwhelming now, but it's a transition, and soon things will even out. Your kids will just keep on growing and soon Warren will be going to preschool too, with the big kids in all day school! Wow. Next year they'll both be in all day school. It's all happening so fast!

Eliason 5 said...

Your kids are adorable and so grown up! I can't believe how big they have gotten. What a crazy schedule you guys have! It sounds like you guys have a lot of fun.