Friday, September 12, 2008

What a week!

Whew! It has been one very long week! I am exhausted both physically and mentally. I guess I should start with Monday.
On Monday, Kimball got to see a child psychologist. We have been a little concerned about some sensory issues he has been having and his pediatrician thought it would be a good idea to get him evaluated. Doctor John was great! Kimball loved playing in his office. It had a sand box and tons of toys! Warren liked it too. I didn’t get to play I had to talk. We discussed Kimball for an hour and the doctor felt that Kimball does have a Sensory Integration Disorder. He also believes that is not as serious as some kids have it. He pointed out that if you look at Kimball’s past he has been diagnosed with and immature immune system, but he will eventually got grow it, he is a late potty trainer, and he was born with immature intestines and digestive track. It looks like Kimball is “blessed” to have some trials of being slowed in things. Doctor John reassured me that Kimball is defiantly not ADD or ADHD. Kimball is extremely bright, but the neurons in his brain seem to develop a little slower then most kids. I then asked him what we should be doing to help him and he said that I am already doing most things that he would recommend. He said the hardest one is patients. It is hard to have a four year old that isn’t potty trained, isn’t acting like other kids and behaves odd at certain situations, but hang on. He said a lot of kids with this condition end up with low self esteems because they do not get enough positive reinforcement at home. He also strongly recommended taking Kimball out of Pre-school. I was a little baffled by this. I thought putting him with other kids would help, and he told me it actually has the opposite effect. He said that it would stress Kimball out more and the teasing from the other kids might not be the best right now as we are trying to work with him.
I was really torn about this. I know it was my choice to keep in or not. The two days that he had already one he had loved. I knew no matter what it was going to be a tough choice. Jake and I talked about it a lot. In the end we thought it would be best to take Kimball out. At first I was devastated. I thought he would be too. Be it was quite the opposite. He told me that he wanted to stay home with Warren and me. He also seemed to calm down more. The little things didn’t set him off as much. Warren was in a better mood too. I guess we made the right choice.
I am still determined to do school at home. Everyday we have set aside time have done different projects. He loves it and is blossoming! He has started to read! This kid amazes me everyday. He loves to read. He doesn’t like to read in front of a lot of people, but he loves to read to Phoebe and his dad. This boy is really something special!
Tuesday I got to go to Salt Lake to meet with the Urologist. It was nice hearing that I was not crazy and all the trouble I have been going though is real. Sometimes I really thought I was going crazy. He was able to rule out kidney stones and a blockage. That was good, but he thinks it is one of two things. The first he explained to me that back in July when I got the kidney infection it was pretty bad and if he was my doctor he would have sent me to the hospital. He said that when you get and infection that severe the antibiotic will kill the bad stuff but you can stay inflamed for weeks and months afterwards. The inflammation can cause all the symptoms. If that is the case then I need to keep taking my Detrol LA and just wait. I should see a difference with in the month. If I do not see a difference then it is probably the other option. I really can’t remember what it is called. It was a big word. I think I might call his nurse and have her spell it out to me. If this is what I have it causes all the effects of an infection but no bacteria. But he said there are medication, therapy and surgery that can fix it. Honestly, I am quite sick of being cut into. So I think I am going to pray for the inflammation one. I go back October 7th to see how things are going. Here’s hoping it’s the inflammation!
Wednesday I watched my friend’s kids for the day. She had to take her two year old to Primary Children’s Hospital to get and MRI done. I got to watch the 11month old all day. I then had to pick up her two boys from school. I was so thrilled to watch a baby! She is such an angel! I was so moved by how sweet Kimball and Warren treated her. They were like mother hens. Warren made sure she had toys and sippy cups and Kimball made sure to know where she was at all times. They shared there trains with her and stacked blocks so she could knock them down! It made my heart sing! It also gave me hope that if we adopt a baby sometime that the boys will adjust but be great big brothers! The day did get a little stressful when I had to walk all six kids home from school and feed them dinner and help with homework. I am grateful I got the chance to provide this service.
By the time Thursday rolled around I was feeling worn out and my house was feeling neglected. Kimball and I made alphabet wands. I cut out, with my cricut, upper and lower case letters. We then glued them on Popsicle sticks. We then took turns going through the house with a wand and finding things to start with the letter on the wand we held. He loved it! That afternoon I then watched my neighbor’s kids. She had eye surgery and it was more painful then they though the recovery would be. The kids played really well together. Thursday night is also my scrap booking night. I was ready to run about the door when the time came. I needed a break! It was a blast. I only stayed till eleven thirty. I was so tired as it was, but I really need sometime for myself. I kept telling myself the kids have been sleeping in till seven, I can do this. (Right, this morning, they got up at five!) I was able to get three scrapbook layouts done. I will post them sometime later. I am too tired to do much of anything right now. I will also post the doll dress I made. I love it! I just finished sewing on the buttons on today. It is a Christmas present for Phoebe. I think she will love it. If I can get a nap today then I will start on another outfit tonight. I also have started to make her flower girl for the Wedding. The bodice is almost done. I thin dealing with the seven yards of tulle is going to be interesting! I will keep you all posted on that
As for Friday, I am tired, grumpy and stepping one a very dirty floor. I keep telling myself that once I get a little nap then I will get moving on getting this house back together. Plus, it is the weekend and Jake will be home a little more! Yeah! Here’s hoping that next week will be much more laid back!

4 comments:

Eliason 5 said...

What a crazy week! It is good to hear that Kimball is doing well. How does Phoebe like Kindergarten?

Red Charlotte said...

Sariah, You're a wonderful mom. Hang in there. You had a crazy week, but lots of us are always thinking of you and sending you love and energy! Let us know as soon as you can about the kidney thing.

Can't wait to see pics of Phoebe's dress!

Love,
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

your post was a comfort for me. Danny is probably more on the severe end of sensory issues, and he is going to have a long road ahead of him. I know how frustrating it can be, but we can do it!! He is such a sweet little kid, and he will probably catch up in no time!
I hope that you get feeling better. What a strong woman you are!

Yates Family said...

Sariah!! I hope that you k now you can always call and talk to me! I miss our little chats but I also know that things are busy. Know that my prayers are with you and I hope that you get feeling better!!