Sunday, January 17, 2010

Phoebe's seizure

So many of you have heard that on Friday my little Phoebe had a seizure. It was pretty scary and what drives me nuts is that they (the doctors) don't know why it happened. Here is how it went: Jake was up because he had the day off. I was going to sleep in! Jake was feeding the kids oatmeal and was standing next to Phoebe and Warren at the table. All the sudden Phoebe just falls off the chair right at his feet. She landed on her face. She then seized and was on her back. The then proceeded to shake. Her eyes did not roll back in her head, but they glassed over. Jake started to call out her name, at first he was confused, thinking she was being silly, but quickly realized that something was wrong. He stayed amazingly calm. He runs into our room and says, "I think Phoebe just had a seizure" Upon hearing that I jump out of bed and find my little girl on the floor, white as a ghost. I have NEVER seen someone so pale in all my life. Her lips were white. She started to cry and was really confused. Jake picked her up and carried her to our bed. She was saying things like "I feel shaky all over" or "my legs feel funny" "I feel sick to my stomach" " my back hurts" I immediately started getting her jacket on her while Jake got his shoes on. From the time I got out bed till this point it had maybe been two minutes. It all happened so fast. Jake took Phoebe straight to the ER and I got Kimball and Warren dropped off at a friends house. Thank goodness for wonderful friends who can help at the drop of a hat! I was able to meet Jake at the ER just in time for Phoebe to get a CT Scan. She also had X-rays to make sure nothing was injured when she fell, and lots and lots of blood work. Everything came back normal. The doctor said that this could be a one time thing or it could be the start of something. We now just have to wait and see. If she has another one we need to call our pediatrician and document it. If it happens a third time then we have to start getting concerned and have more detailed testing done. I felt like I left the ER with more questions then answers. She recovered just fine and is back to her happy little self. Here is to no more of those lovely seizures!!

7 comments:

Amandean said...

I'll second that! Love you guys!

meg said...

ah! wow - scary! we will keep you guys in our prayers - thanks for the update. Love you guys!

Bethany said...

Oh my goodness! I can't even fathom that happening. I'm glad you guys stayed calm. I'm glad she is doing better. You're all in my prayers!!

Anonymous said...

ahh!!! this makes me so sad. I am glad to hear shes feeling better but Im so bummed when you leave with more questions. I hate it when things come back normal and you're stuck saying.. but this isn't normal!! awe!! Here's to NO more scaries!!

jamie said...

Hey Sariah! I found your blog through Nikkis I think. I just wanted to tell you that I had little mini seizures that were sort of like what you explained and right before they happened I could smell a funny smell and then fell over and passed out. I was 15 but it took them 6 months, 3 MRI's, and a sleep study to determine I was really dehydrated. I had no idea because I never was thirsty and thought i drank enough but once I doubled my intake, they never happened again. i went from about 20 of them, to none. The doctors said it happens more often to girls between ages 8-15 on average, but can give or take a few years. Anyway, I'm not sure if that's the case, but maybe? Hope she is feeling better! I can imagine how scary it is!

The Anderson's said...

Oh Sariah :( I am sorry to hear about poor Phoebe! Hopefully it was just a random thing and will never happen again! Plus, I hope you all get feeling better!!

Phoebe said...

I think that the second time was much much much scarier. Plus it was on your birthday. Sorry!!!!!