Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A letter

As I was writing a letter to my sister, who is traveling the world right now, I was thinking, this letter would make an excellent blog. It just sums up everything that is going on. So I am posting parts of the letter I sent to my sister. I hope you enjoy the update on our life.


I started PT today. I know can move my knee that was in a semi permanent bent position to a completely straight. It hurt like the dickens, but I did! I am trying to have a "I'm-going-to-beat-this-once-and-for-all" attitude. I don't ever want to be this laid up again. I had a lot of heat, ice, electric shock and ultrasound done on it. I was barely able to lift my leg two inches off the table. It is so sad how much my leg has regressed. But I am going to beat this. I have been giving my starter exercises. I basically lift my leg for a few minutes every day. It sounds pathetic, but it is hard work. I am also having to start weeing my self off my knee brace. I am still going to wear it when I walk Phoebe to and from school or go out for long periods of time. Just until I get more strength. Around the house I need to start working it more. I had to be off my knee all night and take a narcotic to help the pain. Jake made a fantastic dinner. Chicken, rice and steamed veggies. He also got some more colorful fish and brought me a small bowl of ice cream. He cleaned the house and helped get the kids to bed. I love that man. He also did the light fast stroke on my knee while I vegged on the couch.
Our fish babies are growing like weeds! It is such a wonderful experience to watch them grow. You can look at them in the morning and then come back a few hours later and they look bigger! Our friends are bring over there kids to show them the baby fish. It is fun! Who would have ever though fish could be such a neat thing! Our last black Molly bit the dust today. Those fish are pansies. We are not getting any more. She just got too stressed out. Well, she is in a better place now.
Little Phoebe is learning to tell time. It is so cute to see her staring at the clock trying to figure it all out. I love her love of learning! She is reading all the time now. She gets mad at Kimball and Warren if they make too much noise while she is reading. Do you remember how I use to love the book, "The Doll House Murders"? It is the book that made me fall in love with murder mysteries and dollhouses. I started reading that in the second grade. I was able to find it at Barnes and Noble. Do you think I should let her read it? I think it still a little to old for her, but she is so rapidly out growing the books we have. I have a hard time keeping up. I think I am going to hit up used book stores. What were some of your favorite books you read as a kid? I am talking second and third grade? I know we had so many book growing up, I just can't think of them. Her teacher is having to go to older grade teachers for books for her! She amazes me! The other day she said to me that she is not good a math. I asked her what on earth are you talking about. She simply told me that she was good at reading and that was it. I then had to sit down and explain to her that you can be great at many things. It helps that I have a few sisters that are extremely gifted in many areas!! It also made realize that I need to stop talking about how much I hate math and act like I love it in front of the kids.
Kimball blows my mind everyday. That kid! For what he lacks with his sensory he makes up with smarts! Today he looked at clock and told me it was seven forty! I really was seven forty! Phoebe can't even do time like that. He was looking at a wall clock, not an alarm clock! Also today he wrote each on of our family members names on individual sheets of paper. Then wrote them in a way that he turned them into a person! He added the head, feet and hands but make the letters into a body! With my first reaction he got confused with, I was breathless and he thought I was mad, so I had to explain to him what I was feeling. He was glowing with pride. Oh that kid! I did get an appointment scheduled with an occupational therapist! Insurance covers it too! The OT specializes in SID (Sensory Integration Disorder)!! I feel so blessed! We got in next week too! I am so excited to see how this goes.
Warren is being my little stinker still. And in more ways then one! He is still fighting a cold. It just seems like we are just passing it back and forth to each other!! I can't wait till spring!! I want to fling open my window and play outside!!!! Anyways, he has some pretty stinky poop and a nasty runny nose. But he is still up to mischief! This afternoon while I was taking care of things and all the sudden I realize I don't hear Warren. That immediately raises and alarm. So I start calling out his name and hobbling around the house to find him. That is when I hear a little knocking at the front door. Yes, it was my darling baby! He had slipped on Phoebe's snow boots and was playing with truck in the snow. It is no wonder that he is sick! He also thought it was be so funny to do a belly flop on mommy's belly. (Serves me right for talking on the phone today.) As soon as I do something other than dealing with my kids they find a way to get my attention. His was to run across the room to his innocent mother laying on the floor, talking to my best friend, and he flies in the air and plops right on my belly! I really wish I had it on video! He then gets up and says, "Fun! Again!" Heck no! I put a stop to that!
I am still working on getting ready for Christy and Kensie to come. It is a lot of fun. I am trying to find little ways to make it a special room for them. I can't wait till I get all my stuff packed or put in my room, so I can start decorating. I just might be making so darling crafts to help if feel like a home. Two months is a long time to be without a home. I want to make it as easy on her and Kensie as possible.
So, that is a nice summary of our life.

Phoebe was up most of the night with a pretty high fever. Looks like we get to take her to the doctor. Here's hoping that it isn't strep!

No comments: