Monday, February 2, 2009

Just another day in Motherhood!

So the day I got my good news about not having surgery, my kids got sick. Just your average cold. Nothing too horrible. It is just super exhausting. Now they are getting better and Jake and I have it! Lovely. I know it will only be a few days. Not the end of the world.

I have been working hard on getting my list of projects done. I have a lot of it done and even pictures taken. It is just getting off the couch (and away from my precious roll of toilet paper, for my nose) to get the camera. It is just too much. Maybe in a few days!

Kimball has been learning a lot lately. He has been working on his potty skills. It is going alright. We still have a very long road ahead of us, but the past few days, while he has been sick, he has still peed in the toilet. That is very exciting! He has even tried sitting down on the potty a few time! He has also been learning about colors of skin! He just seemed to wake up one morning and notice that not everyone around him was the same color. We have some great friends that are black. His favorite babysitter is black, his primary leader is black, Phoebes good friends are black. This is nothing new to our life. So I thought! The first thing he noticed was a black man on TV. He yelled to me, "Mom! That man is made out of chocolate!" I held back the laughs and explained to him that he was not made out of chocolate, but was a child of God and the same just like Kimball was. I thought it had sunk in. The next time he saw one of our black friends we was obsessed with touching their skin. He then told our friend, "I am not scared of you because you are black." Our wonderful friend smiled at him and said, "I am not scared of you because you are white." Now I was sure he got it. We were at Costco the other day and he saw a young black man and he shouted at the top of his lungs, "Hey boy! (I could have died at this moment!) Are you on Reading Rainbow? I watch your show!!" I wanted to laugh at the same time crawl into a hole! We have had a lot more talks and so far he hasn't make anymore comments like that. I am teaching him that you don't call men, boys. This is a little hard for him because he still calls everyone a boy. We are trying to teach him girls are she, her, and girl and boys are he, him, his..... But you do not call anyone who is a grown up, a boy. I really hope he learns it. And soon!
I thought I would post pictures of all our fish. It is really hard to take picture of them in our tank so I found some on line. Enjoy!









This is our Beta named Dorothy. Or the closest I can find to him. Kimball picked him out and named him after Elmo's fish. He is a Pansie of a fish. He likes to puff up at every little thing.This is a Black Molly. We had four, but two have died. They got "the spots". The other two are now in the sick tank. We are really hoping they pull through!This is a Chinese Algae Eater, his name is Oscar. He is big, ugly, strange and a bit of a bully. The kids get the biggest kick out of watching him eat off the glass. These are Ottos. They are little sucker fish. The kids so named our two, Suck and Super Suck. They are tiny and really hard to find in a 90 gallon tank.These happen to be my favorite fish in the tank. They are Bala Sharks. We have three. I don't know if they have names. They can grow up to 16 inches long, can jump up to six feet and make a cracking sound when they eat! Plus, they are just pretty.This is Spartacus. He is a Red Tailed Black Shark. He is the biggest in the tank at the moment. He likes to hide in the day and come out more when it is dark. I think he is my second favorite.These two are our Sword Tails. I don't know if they have names. That is about all I know.This is a Zebra striped Danio. We have three of them. They are the craziest little fish. You might think they were on drugs with how they act. The kids so happened to name the Phoebe, Kimball and Warren. I laugh to myself!

A few posts back I talked about how we had fish die on us and we had to explain the Plan of Salvation to the kids and that our fish are now in Heaven. Well, when our most recent fished died Kimball looked and me and asked, "When does Jesus come back?" I was a little confused at the moment. Then it hit me! He was remembering about our talk. I hugged him and told him I didn't know when Jesus would come back, but when he does, we will get our fishes back again. He seemed to take it really well. He went off playing. A few minutes later he comes back with tears in his eyes and said, "I want Jesus to come back now!" I almost started to cry. If I can teach my kids the Gospel through fish, I am so thankful, because Kimball listened. We had another talk and he was better. I wonder if I could use The Gospel with fish in a Young Women's lesson???

4 comments:

Evelyn said...

I love your kids! Kimball is awesome. We have the cold too. Everyone feels mostly better but I still have the sniffles. I'm exited to get to see all your fish. I still can't believe you have fish.

Red Charlotte said...

ROFL! Oh, he's never going to be able to live that down!

meg said...

4-5 years old is my favorite age for kids - they are hilarious! When I was teaching preschool and kindergarten I came home with funny stories every day! That is what I miss most about teaching, too, so thanks SO MUCH for posting all these hilarious anecdotes! It also makes me think more about what I will say to my kids when these kinds of things come up! You guys are great parents!

Anonymous said...

I love Kimball! What a perceptive kid. I think he and Danny would get along.

Which reminds me, I am so impressed that Kimball is potty training. I know he had so little interest in it, so I am asking you to tell me what you did to help him - sensory issues and all - to get motivated. I feel like I am getting nowhere with Danny! Just email me!

Love ya!