Thursday, January 22, 2009

The weekend

My mom came up this past weekend. We always have fun little adventures when she comes up. The kids adore her. It is so great . The boys and I hit DI this past week. We found a pack of Geo Tracks for $2.00! And a for person tea set for $10.00. We got the tea set because Phoebe is still very much engrossed with American girl Doll's Felicity. She is from the Colonial time and Phoebe wants to do everything like her. So we had a Hot Cocoa tea part. We even had little chessmen cookies. The kids had so much fun. Mom was a great sport. The kids didn't want it to end.



Sure hope my mom doesn't mind that I posted this photo. She is such a wonderful grandma!


I love this face he is making. This sums up Warren. I ask him to do something and he does it in his own little sassy way. I sure love him.


With how much sewing I have been doing lately Phoebe has been asking a lot of questions about sewing. She wants me to explain about patterns, and when she can get her own machine. She wants to learn how to do basic stuff. The other day I set up my machine in her room, at her little table, and we sewed some straight lines. She was a little nervous about the machine. She clearly remembers the story of mom as a younger girl (I was in collage) sewing a needle through her finger and having to go to the hospital. I sure wish I had never told her that story. She was brave and put her hands on top of mine. It was very darling. I wish I had Jake get a photo. Maybe next time. She is already telling me what kind of machine she wants. What a hoot. Anyways I have a book that tells you how to start teaching kids to sew. Pre-sewing activities to basic sewing and so on. It really is a neat treasure. It is an old book my mom had when she was a young adult. It suggested having kids string beads. It is at Kimball and Warrens level. It was fun. They made necklaces for all different stuffed animals. Phoebe even made some for her teacher. It was great to watch the kids pick the beads and patterns. Warren was even able to do it on his own. I love these kiddos!


Notice the necklace for Bob the Builder? Warren made that for him. I also like that you can tell Warren is sticking his tongue on the inside his cheek. He is concentrating very hard to get that bead on the needle.
Phoebe had it down to an art form. She could make two in the time that the boys could.
Kimball would just get into his own world and add beads. It was fascinating to watch him. You really could see the wheels turning in his head.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

FUN!

Bethany said...

Whoops. got cut off. Tell your mom I say Hello! I miss her. What a wonderful tea party...I mean hot chocolate party.

Anonymous said...

Pheobe is such a beautiful girl!

Yates Family said...

Pheobe is so grown up!!! And Warren is a spitting image of Isaac!! I think they were very good friends in Heaven!! He is just a doll!! I sure miss you guys!!

meg said...

Has anyone ever told you your kids are darling?!? You are so great at capturing special little moments! And the kindergarten teacher in me is cheering on your dramatic play fun (and tea parties are all the rage!) and math/fine motor activities (stringing beads and patterns!) The mommy in me is saying "awww, fun!"