Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Code Adam


When a baby is taken from hospital it is a “code pink” when you loose a child in a store it is called a “code Adam”. I have never actually had to claim I have lost my child. I have never had to have every employee on the look out for a little blonde boy. I have never acted like the frantic mother because she can’t find baby. I have never had those strange looks from people, like, “why can’t she keep her children near by” or “what a horrible mother” I have never had horrible thoughts that I may never see my child again. Until today! Oh, yes, I had that *wonderful* experience! I took the kids to Ikea today. I thought it would be great way to spend the day. I let them sit on all the furniture and touch everything they could get there hands on. It was like a trip to Disneyland, with affordable food. While were in the couch area I was doing my regular kid count. Have Phoebe, check, have Kimball, check, have Warren… wait! Where is Warren? So I calmly look around and call his name. I still can’t find him. I have a bit of panic hit me. So I looked a little more. I still couldn’t find him! Now I started to worry. Warren is not my child that runs away from me. I started to get frantic. I started yelling out his name and telling me that he need to answer, because he is scaring me. An employee came over and asked if I had lost a child. I said yes, and she got her walkie talkie out and called a code Adam. All the employees had to start to look for my blonde haired two year old boy. After a few minutes the told me that they found a little boy! I was so relieved, only to find out it was some other person’s boy! I am about ready to have a heart attack. Finally, after about five minutes of the employees looking for my child, here comes Warren, running around the corner saying, “I looking you mommy, I looking you mommy!” I seriously had thoughts of yelling at him. But, don’t worry I didn’t. I wrapped my arms around him and covered him with kisses! What a relief! I think I aged about ten years while trying to find him. He as happy as could be and didn’t think anything was wrong. Just another fun day at Ikea! I eventually let him out of my arms and put him straight in a basket and seat belted him in. He didn’t want to stay there but after what he put me through, he didn’t get a choice! I am so glad he is safe and home, with me. May this never happen again!

6 comments:

Red Charlotte said...

OH MY GOSH. I was so nervous as I read this post. Thank goodness all is okay. Pinch his little butt for me!

Paige said...

Yikes! I'm so glad you found him and everything was okay (with the exception of some grey hairs that probably sprouted). SCARY!

Anonymous said...

Isn't this every mother's worst nightmare? I'm glad it was short-lived!

Emily said...

I'm glad you found him. I lost Justin once, and it is just horrible. It is amazing how many bad thoughts can enter into your mind in those few minutes. I'm glad he is ok.

Bethany said...

Scary! I'm glad you found him/he found you.

The Anderson's said...

OOOOH Sariah, that has to be the ultimate awful feeling. I thought I lost Logan once outside of our house... It's awful. Hopefully he wasn't missing too long.