Thursday, October 2, 2008

Apple Pie, Anyone??




I love the month of October. To me it is the real beginning of fall. I love all the harvesting and canning. I love the color changes and the smells in the air. I like how people become more friendly to one another. There is something magic about FALL. One of the other things I love about all this family togetherness, good smells and color-ness is that every first weekend in October we get to have General Conference!! I love that we get to be together as a family and listen to a Prophet of God. It is one of the most uplifting things ever! I always come away from General Conference wanting to try a little harder and be a little better. It is like a spiritual shot in the arm. A reminder that we are to love others as Christ would. I have a dream for the future. I hope that when my children are grown and have a family of there own that we will be able to still be together for Conference. It doesn't have to be at my house, just as long as we are together. I think it will happen. But I would like to get them though elementary school first.


Today my first weekend guest arrived. Becca. She is a great friend and is just as excited about this weekend as I am. The only damper for this weekend is that Warren and Kimball have been throwing up for the past two day. I guess that is one of the oppositions that come with all the blessings of fall, colder weather and sick kids. I am lucky though, we really haven't had a major sickness in the house sense July. Jake came home starting to feel sick too. Jake doesn't get sick. If he does, it is bad. I am determined to still make this a wonderful weekend!


To start off the wonderful weekend (just a tad early) Becca and I stayed up till midnight canning homemade apple pie filling! I love this stuff. It is the best apple pie you will ever taste. Jake, the kids and I actually picked the apples with another family. I think that adds to the taste. I think we spent a totally of five hours over the hot stove, but it is SO worth it.


I learned this recipe from my Sister in Law, Terica. I was brand spankin' new to being a member of the English clan and she invited me over and we made this recipe. It meant the world to me that she would take the time to teach me this. Terica you are wonderful! I thought because I am in such a chipper mood for one in the morning, I would share the wonderful recipe with you.


12-14 lbs tart apples
4 1/2 C. Sugar
1C. Cornstarch
2 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp Nutmeg
1 Tbsp Salt
10 C. Water
3Tbsp lemon juice

Wash, core, peel and slice the apples.

Mix all ingredients, except lemon juice. When syrup in bubbly, remove from heat and add lemon juice. Mix well.

Fill jars 3/4 full with packed apples. Pour syrup in jar, leaving 1/2 inch head space.

Process in water bath for 20 minutes.

Let cool completely.

Yum! Enjoy!!

7 comments:

Paige said...

Yum! Enjoy your weekend. And Terica never invited ME over to can apple pie filling. :(

Red Charlotte said...

Oh that looks delicious! Please will you teach me how to make it one day?

Sariah English said...

You bet I will teach you! It is a date!

The Kelly Family said...

hey can you downsize that recipe for me....if i want to make one pie?? it looks soooo good!!!!

Anonymous said...

you are awesome!

The apple pie filling looks scrumptous.

Thanks for rubbing off some of your positive fall spirit onto me.

I do hope your boys feel better soon, . . . no fun.

Anonymous said...

That is so fun!! I miss you so much!! I wish we were near so I can feel motivated to do all the special things you do in your home.

terica said...

Awe, that was so fun...especially when we realized it was sugar we needed NOT flour like the recipe called for! Wish I was there to can with you again. Have fun this conference weekend. And Paige, I must repent!